directory-api mailing list archives

From Shawn McKinney <smckin...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Site] LDAP Java API list
Date Sun, 05 Apr 2015 16:37:43 GMT

> On Apr 4, 2015, at 6:13 PM, Lucas Theisen <lucastheisen@pastdev.com> wrote:
>
> I added LdapConnectionTemplate (akin to springs LdapTemplate) to apache
> LDAP API over a year ago (
> http://directory.apache.org/api/user-guide/2.10-ldap-connection-template.html)
> which provides some useful abstractions over the LDAP API.  Is there
> anything specific missing from interface that you would like to see added?

I was vague in my before mentioned criteria for a ‘higher abstraction’.  Specifically
what I believe would be useful is a binding mechanism between POJO’s and the LDAP APIs for
CRUD methods.

Perhaps the POJO uses annotations to declare which attributes to persist.  Perhaps there is
a mapping file.  Basically I am calling for a JPA-like facility for LDAP clients.

I am not suggesting that everyone should use this.  JPA is a double-edged sword with both
good and bad characteristics.  But a mechanism like this can boost productivity for developers,
under certain circumstances.

This is what I believe the Spring LDAP mechanism provides.

Now that I’ve stated my requirements, the next question is can the existing Apache LDAP
API satisfy?  The ldap template looks great and I will certainly use it but (at first glance)
I don’t think it provides ‘automatic' persistence.  Happy to be proved wrong.

Shawn
smckinney@apache.org