directory-api mailing list archives

From Shawn McKinney <smckin...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cURRENT uSER gUID XTATUS
Date Sun, 01 Jan 2017 15:31:54 GMT

> On Jan 1, 2017, at 5:04 AM, Emmanuel Lécharny <elecharny@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> now that you have spent some time reading and fixing the current (and
> incomplete) DLAP API User Guide, do you have any general remark related
> to its content, structure, or whatever ?

Overall structure is pretty good.  It’s broken down in a reasonable way -- basic, advanced,
etc, and the subsections are ordered well.  Nav is easy enough although a (master) table of
contents listing all of the pages, descriptions and status (finished or not) would be helpful.

Content is mixed.  What’s there is quite good but many things not covered.  For example,
security isn't covered.  Of course I suggest it be completed ASAP.  To be fair authN’s covered
in the bind/unbind section but SSL/TLS & authZ isn't.

We need our code samples to be downloadable.  One of my fav LDAP books, “LDAP Programming
with Java” (Weltman, Dahbura) was released before Internet code dist was the norm but nevertheless
included a CD containing all of the code samples.  I literally built my first 5 LDAP programs
with these examples.  The book is probably one of the reasons the Netscape Java LDAP API gained
popularity.

Perhaps we start a github project that includes samples such as this.  Or, even manage a new
repo in our project?

Thanks,
Shawn