directory-dev mailing list archives

From Shawn McKinney <smckin...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Result was : Re: [Vote] Accept Kai Zheng contribution (Haox) as a sub-project
Date Mon, 05 Jan 2015 11:48:47 GMT
On 01/05/2015 05:13 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
> You will not get any help from the ASF when ir comes to pick a name... As it is virtually
impossible to check in all the regions if the name is already taken : we simply don't have
the money/time/expertise to do that.

As I'm sure everyone here knows trademarks are specific to a product area.  The fact that
there is a product called ACME and it references a tire doesn't preclude someone else from
using it for toothpaste.  With that in mind I believe google is our friend.  If we have a
name we like, i.e. kirby, and the only hits we get are for vacuum cleaners, http://www.kirby.com/
;-), then the name is still ok to use.