directory-dev mailing list archives

From Kiran Ayyagari <kayyag...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Result was : Re: [Vote] Accept Kai Zheng contribution (Haox) as a sub-project
Date Sun, 04 Jan 2015 10:12:39 GMT
On Sun, Jan 4, 2015 at 5:28 PM, Pierre Smits <pierre.smits@gmail.com> wrote:

> Though I like a internal nerdy joke as much as the next man, I do have
> some reservations with potential names like Fluffy and Kerby. Like many
> other I think they are fun names. When I first glance on those names, I
> thought of Harry Potter, toys and Herbie.
> I believe hey are names for a different application area than
> Authentication, Authorization and Security.

the idea is to name it as close as possible to relate it to the technology
the product supports
and IMHO considering the target users (developers and system admins) this
aspect is very important
to bring the product close to them

> And that is playing field we deliver our solutions in. An area that is not
> only visited (worked in) by developers, but also auditors and other kind of
> assessors. And these persons don't get the inside jokes.

They go for trustworthiness and reliability. And when the name of the
> product doesn't instil that from the start, it will have a steeper hill to
> climb.

 though I have not seen so far, I doubt if auditors directly involve in the
selection of a product directly

> We must be aware that this product already has a competing disadvantage
> when compared to Kerberos,

I didn't understand, Kerby is going to be a Kerberos server

> and we should not add to that. People might consider a product like Apache
> Kerby as the little brother of

yes, this is the goal, and Kerberos is an excellent protocol and we don't
have any implemented in Java
that can be both embeddable and run standalone

> Kerberos, not to be taken seriously. We also have to take into
> consideration that Apache stands for quality software solutions. I don't
> think that Apache .....y does instil the confidence and assurance that we
> it to have from the get-go.
>
>  am sure you agree that name and quality are orthogonal ;)

finally, I understand your point raised here, but I am just stressing that
naming the product based on
the technology it supports can make it easier to remember and discuss about
in the targeted technology
user circle.

And we can definitely instill confidence if Kerby makes setting up and
maintaining a Kerberos server
as painless as possible, like what Ubuntu did for Linux.

thanks Pierre.

--
Kiran Ayyagari
http://keydap.com