drill-dev mailing list archives

From Camuel Gilyadov <cam...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Is there a place for C/C++ contribution?
Date Tue, 13 Nov 2012 05:01:05 GMT
Vladimir,

 I would recommend you start implementing physical plan generation and
executor. I would recommend going to
https://github.com/ApacheDrill/Brainstorm/wiki/Apache-Drill-Links and then
going to the section named "Code generation / Physical plan generation" and
start going through the material. Unfortunately Thomas cannot open-source
his code but he said it should be a strait-forward implementation as
everything covered in the paper.

I could help you with assembly and codegen if you need help and I assume
Thomas would be glad to help you with any questions if something is unclear
in the paper.

>From my quick peek into Impala (https://github.com/cloudera/impala) it
seems they also use C/C++ back-end and also codegen with LLVM IR for Hive
queries so may be look there for inspiration, may be even beyond
inspiration ;)  the license is Apache... Cloudera are good guys,
contributing a lot into Apache, supporting open-source, Doug is an Apache
director so I guess we are safe here. Look into "Cloudera Impala" thread in
this mailing list for some more discussion about Impala. Apache Drill has a
slightly different goals but code reuse where it make sense is good I guess.

And if you would want to help with the executor/storage engine itself you
may consider contributing to ZeroVM, we just prepared a new version with
easier installation: http://zerovm.org/download/ and stay tuned for private
beta of hosted version. ZeroVM is also Apache licensed and Swift which we
use as storage engine is also Apache licensed.