drill-dev mailing list archives

From Jacques Nadeau <jacques.dr...@gmail.com>
Subject Optiq, LucidDB, DynamoBI, Eigenbase and Saffron sitting in a tree...
Date Thu, 29 Nov 2012 19:24:45 GMT
This is probably primarily for Julian but anybody else who knows the
history...

It seems like Saffron was absorbed by Eigenbase which became
DynamoBI/LucidDB.  Around the same time, Optiq forked some of the Eigenbase
code for a separate purpose.  I'd love a short history lesson on their
relationship and provenance. If we rely more on the Eigenbase code than the
Optiq code, is Optiq the latest fork of that code?

Other helpful information would be:
What is the vintage of the various components?  For example, I see pre Java
1.5 approaches various places and more modern approaches elsewhere.
What SQL standard was the parser built for?
What is the status of the various components?  Which are WIP and which are
"solid".  For example I saw the following in
org.eigenbase.relopt.volcano.VolcanoPlanner

    /**
     * If true, the planner keeps applying rules as long as they continue to
     * reduce the cost. If false, the planner terminates as soon as it has
found
     * any implementation, no matter how expensive. The default is false
due to
     * unresolved bugs with various rules.
     */
    protected boolean ambitious = true;