drill-dev mailing list archives

From Timothy Chen <tnac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Drill-dev message volume
Date Wed, 21 May 2014 18:34:43 GMT
I actually chose the route to mailbox all JIRA traffic and only look
at Drill jira page activity feed once in a while to see what's going
on.

The huge git commit messages are definitely a big spam, but it's very
useful for me as I can know exactly all the patches going in, but I
can see it being annoying.

I don't see other projects getting these big git commit messages when
things are pushed though, do we know how to configure that?

Tim

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 11:31 AM, Julian Hyde <julianhyde@gmail.com> wrote:
> The traffic on the drill-dev list is overwhelming. Most of it is jira updates, and many
of those are just admin tasks, such as flagging that a patch has arrived or an issue is fixed.
So, the signal-to-noise ratio is pretty poor.

> I don't think that I can solve this using mail filters, even fairly smart ones. If I
redirected all jira messages to the trash (or to another folder which, let's be honest, I
would never keep up with) I would miss updates to issues that I care enough about to have
subscribed to updates.

> Likewise, if I requested a daily digest, it would add a 24-hour lag to my participation
in discussions, and I would probably still lose messages amongst the chaff.

> I know having all transactions on a public email list is "the Apache way", but it's a
flawed policy. The time investment to sort through the chaff is such that only full-time salaried
developers can participate. (I suspect that many of these are tempted to have the real discussions
one-to-one, or ignore the list entirely and just work on their assigned jira cases.)

> Let's have a discussion about this. Is anyone else feeling similarly overwhelmed? Conversely,
drill-dev is working fine for you, please speak up too.