drill-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Paul Rogers <prog...@mapr.com>
Subject Re: Drill test cases failures after a fresh clone
Date Fri, 23 Jun 2017 17:52:53 GMT
Hi Muhammad,

The tests have worked for me. That said, we do want them to work “out of the box” for
everyone, so let’s see if we can track down the issues you are having.

TestClassTransformation.testCompilationNoDebug is a timeout issue. Sometimes this just means
that tests run slowly, perhaps due to other load on the system. When that happens, JUnit fails
them due to a hard-coded, fixed timeout. Was there other load on our machine while running
the tests?

The others look like functional issues. We need more details since the summary messages are
truncated. Did you happen to capture the entire test output? If so, you can find the full
details for each test so we can see what’s happening.

Otherwise, you can run the test individually:

> cd exec/java-exec
> mvn surefire:test -Dtest=TestName

Try this with the four tests that failed (in one case, there were two failures in the same
test class.)

You can also run the four tests in our IDE. Now, sometimes I’ve found that tests work fine
in one of the three cases, but fail in others. (Maven set up a bunch of system properties,
for example. Maven runs tests in a single JVM, which can occasionally cause problems, but
your IDE will launch a new JVM for each run…)

Once we see what you find, we can start to figure out what is going on.

To make this easier to track, I’d suggest opening a JIRA ticket to report the issue, then
posting your test results there. We’ll need that JIRA if we have to make any fixes to tests.

Thanks,

- Paul 

> On Jun 23, 2017, at 4:35 AM, Muhammad Gelbana <m.gelbana@gmail.com> wrote:
> 
> I intend to create a pull request, so I forked Drill on github and cloned
> the repository locally on my machine.
> 
> I built the project by running
> *mvn clean install -DskipTests*
> 
> Then I tried running the tests by running
> *mvn clean install*
> 
> Then I started facing test failures. The first time, the following tests
> failed:
> 
> Tests in error:
>> 
>> TestClassTransformation.testJDKClassCompiler:73->compilationInnerClass:118
>> »  ...
>>  TestClassTransformation.testCompilationNoDebug:88 »  test timed out
>> after 5000...
>> *  TestCastFunctions.testToDateForTimeStamp:79 »  at position 0 column
>> '`col`' mi...*
>>  TestNewMathFunctions.testTrigoMathFunc:111->runTest:85 » ExecutionSetup
>> Failur...
>> *  TestNewDateFunctions.testIsDate:61 »  After matching 0 records, did not
>> find e...*
>> 
> 
> I thought to run the tests again because I found a test case failing due to
> a timeout, so after the second run, the following tests failed *again*:
> 
> Tests in error:
>> *  TestCastFunctions.testToDateForTimeStamp:79 »  at position 0 column
>> '`col`' mi...*
>> *  TestNewDateFunctions.testIsDate:61 »  After matching 0 records, did not
>> find e...*
> 
> 
> Running tests take around half an hour and I was wondering if there is
> something I need to setup or configure before I can run the tests and get
> 100% success rate since I haven't modified anything yet.
> 
> *---------------------*
> *Muhammad Gelbana*
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/mgelbana

Mime
View raw message