drill-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Publish Drill Calcite project artifacts to Apache maven repository
Date Wed, 12 Sep 2018 16:39:29 GMT
I can confirm what Josh says about OSSRH. You need to fill out a form with Sonatype that convinces
them that you own the groupId (basically a domain name). Then they give you authorization
to publish artifacts under that groupId. For example, I publish artifacts under the sqlline
and net.hydromatic groupIds.

> On Sep 12, 2018, at 9:28 AM, Josh Elser <elserj@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Maven central is made up of a number of "Trusted" Maven repositories. This includes the
ASF and OSSRH Maven repositories. Many other organizations run "mirrors" of central.

> The ASF Maven repo is published to by ASF projects who have gone through the ASF release
process. OSSRH allows any release which meets the criteria described here[1]. As an individual,
you are within your rights to publish your fork of Calcite to OSSRH as long as there are no
legal or trademark concerns. It would be imperative to not cause confusion with official Apache
Calcite releases -- clear branding and separate Maven groupId/artifactId "coordinates" should
be sufficient.

> However, since you are (presumably) acting as a member of Apache Drill, it would be very
odd (and potentially against ASF policy) to make a release of software that *isn't* using
the ASF Maven resources. This gives me some pause -- do you have an ASF member on your PMC
you can run this by?

> Finally, as a Calcite PMC member, I feel obligated to ask why Drill needs to maintain
this fork, and see if there is something that can be done from the Calcite side to get you
"back on upstream"? Why the need to make long-term plans to isolate Apache Drill from Apache
Calcite?