drill-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <els...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Publish Drill Calcite project artifacts to Apache maven repository
Date Wed, 12 Sep 2018 16:28:44 GMT
Maven central is made up of a number of "Trusted" Maven repositories.
This includes the ASF and OSSRH Maven repositories. Many other
organizations run "mirrors" of central.

The ASF Maven repo is published to by ASF projects who have gone through
the ASF release process. OSSRH allows any release which meets the
criteria described here[1]. As an individual, you are within your rights
to publish your fork of Calcite to OSSRH as long as there are no legal
or trademark concerns. It would be imperative to not cause confusion
with official Apache Calcite releases -- clear branding and separate
Maven groupId/artifactId "coordinates" should be sufficient.

However, since you are (presumably) acting as a member of Apache Drill,
it would be very odd (and potentially against ASF policy) to make a
release of software that *isn't* using the ASF Maven resources. This
gives me some pause -- do you have an ASF member on your PMC you can run
this by?

Finally, as a Calcite PMC member, I feel obligated to ask why Drill
needs to maintain this fork, and see if there is something that can be
done from the Calcite side to get you "back on upstream"? Why the need
to make long-term plans to isolate Apache Drill from Apache Calcite?

[1] https://central.sonatype.org/pages/ossrh-guide.html