drill-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Rogers <par0...@yahoo.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS]: Git instructions
Date Mon, 04 Mar 2019 02:23:32 GMT
Hi Charles,

As someone who struggled though learning these topics over the last few years, I'd point out
that there is no right way to do this stuff. You can use the Git command line tools, You can
use a UI. You can keep branches locally, or publish everything to GitHub. As Parth wisely
noted back when I started with Drill, Git will be confusing until you "get" what's going on,
then it seems pretty simple.

While Drill should probably not try to provide a full Git tutorial, I notice that many projects
do provide a set of instructions for common tasks. These don't explain the why and how, they
just act as a reference, which is pretty handy. Anyone know of a good writeup for another
project we can reference?

Maybe we can draft something (ideally on a Wiki, but since we don't have one, in the developer
documentation) that follows the material of other projects, but with a Drill-specific spin.

Thanks,
- Paul