drill-dev mailing list archives

From Volodymyr Vysotskyi <volody...@apache.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] Using GitHub Actions for CI
Date Mon, 03 Feb 2020 11:51:47 GMT
Hi all,

I want to discuss using GitHub Actions for running Drill unit tests.

Currently, we use Travis to build the project and run *partial* tests suite
for every pull request and new commits pushed to the master branch.
Also, we have a configuration for CircleCI which allows running more unit
tests for user repositories, including jobs for JDK 8, 11-13.
CircleCI is not set up for Apache Drill since INFRA can't allow write
access for 3d party [1].

GitHub Actions provides more resources for running jobs and has softer
limitations compared with CI mentioned above (for example, it allows 20
concurrent jobs and with a time limit of 6 hours [2] compared to 50 minutes
for Travis).
So GitHub Actions may be used as a single CI and will be able to run *full*
tests suite.

Here is the Jira tor this with the latest status:

Are there any thoughts or objections regarding moving to GitHub Actions?

[2]
https://help.github.com/en/actions/automating-your-workflow-with-github-actions/about-github-actions#usage-limits

Kind regards,
Volodymyr Vysotskyi