drill-dev mailing list archives

From Laurent Goujon <laur...@dremio.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Drill 1.19.0 - RC0
Date Fri, 04 Jun 2021 18:21:40 GMT
I think you missed my point:

- Not all bugs are equal and not all of them may cause to discard the
current evaluation of a release candidate. There are currently 1631 open
bugs for the project according to the Apache Drill JIRA: does it mean we
should wait for all those bugs to be fixed before we can release? What
makes this bug special compared to the others?
- Assuming the previous point is cleared and that the bug should indeed be
part of the release, it would be good to let the release manager handle it
or at least coordinate with them instead of doing it on your own. That's
usually what I've seen done in other projects and it seems to be a
reasonable thing to do as the release manager might be already deep in
patches merge and evaluation, and unexpected changes to the tree might
cause extra work which could have been avoided. Or just because that's the
respectful/polite thing to do...

On Thu, Jun 3, 2021 at 11:11 PM luoc <luoc@apache.org> wrote:

> Laurent,
>   Thanks for doing this. RC0 is no longer eligible for the next step
> operation. It is a consensus that we cannot release a version with known
> issues (the pull request mark as `bug`). In fact, Drill's release process
> is not friendly, and we will put these discussion after the release. Now
> our focus is on preparing for RC1. BTW, You're doing great.
>
> > 2021年6月4日 下午1:20,Laurent Goujon <laurent@dremio.com> 写道:
> >
> > You actually went ahead and merged those patches without waiting while I
> > was hoping we could get some consensus first :(
> >
> > Can I just ask you to please respect the effort I'm putting in following
> > what I think is the release process? If people think I'm not following
> the
> > proper steps or that I'm not doing a good job at doing it, I'll gladly
> > accept feedback and will do my best to address it, but going over me
> isn't
> > helping me or the future volunteers for the next releases which might be
> > also wondering what's the release process should be.
> > Meanwhile I'll wait to get a review for the DRILL-7945 patch fixing the
> > Guava regression, and hopefully I should be able to do another release
> > candidate tomorrow.
> >
> > Laurent
> >
> > On Thu, Jun 3, 2021 at 5:46 PM luoc <luoc@apache.org> wrote:
> >

> >> The DRILL-7945 blocked the release. So, I'm ready to merge the
> DRILL-7937
> >> and DRILL-7940 for bugfix.

写道:

> that