drill-user mailing list archives

From Andries Engelbrecht <aengelbre...@maprtech.com>
Subject Re: [DRILL] Column display for mongodb
Date Tue, 18 Aug 2015 15:47:07 GMT
Most tools today require the metadata to be available when they connect to a data source like
Drill.
As Drill works with multiple data sources where schema is only discovered at query time, it
can create challenges for Tools that require a predefined schema at connection time.

The best way to workaround this with these Tools are to use Drill Views to predefine a schema
for these tools to use. This provides the required Schema information to Tools at connection
time. Nothing in the View gets materialized at creation, so easy to maintain and update as
needed. Also you can apply some SQL logic to the View, not just column name and data type
casting, which can be very handy for some Drill data sources such as Mongo and JSON.

—Andries