drill-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Brust <andrew.br...@bluebadgeinsights.com>
Subject RE: Benchmarks for Apache Drill
Date Mon, 17 Aug 2015 05:22:12 GMT
I have to admit, I didn't realize columnar was such a big part of Drill.  I guess that's consistent
with Dremel, so it makes sense.  I always thought the emphasis was on heterogenous data access,
not on perf.  Cool!

So with that in mind, does drill do much with vector processing/SIMD operation?

-----Original Message-----
From: Jacques Nadeau [mailto:jacques@dremio.com]
Sent: Monday, August 17, 2015 1:17 AM
To: user@drill.apache.org
Subject: Re: Benchmarks for Apache Drill

Drill is very fast.  This is because nearly everybody on the Drill team is focused on performance.
 We haven't published any formal benchmarks yet.
That being said, there are a few out there.  I see that Ted mentioned the Intel one.  Another
is here [1]. As Ted mentioned, these blogs test older and pre-release versions of Drill.
Nonetheless, Drill already outshines nearly all of the competition.  That being said, the
reality is that most benchmarks are very skewed and poorly executed so I strongly recommend
you try out Drill on your workload.  Once you get setup, ask the community for help to tune
the system.  Many others are finding it to be incredibly fast and it has repeatedly displaced
commercial MPP databases and older open source technologies.

Drill is the only open source pure columnar in-memory execution engine today.  This means
that Drill has the right architecture to continue to increase its lead over other engines.
(Think of this as future-proofing.)  We'll be enhancing the engine with items including columnar
functions, compilation optimizations and customized relational operators in the coming months.
 This will simply extend Drill's performance lead.

thanks,
Jacques

[1] http://allegro.tech/fast-data-hackathon.html

--