drill-user mailing list archives

From Zelaine Fong <zf...@maprtech.com>
Subject Apache Drill Hangout Minutes - 11/1/16
Date Tue, 01 Nov 2016 22:40:46 GMT
Attendees: Paul, Padma, Sorabh, Boaz, Sudheesh, Vitalii, Roman, Dave O,
Arina, Laurent, Kunal, Zelaine

I had to leave the hangout at 10:30, so my notes only cover the discussion
up till then.

1) Variable width decimal support - Dave O

Currently Drill only supports fixed width byte array storage of decimals.
Dave has submitted a pull request for DRILL-4834 to add support for storing
decimals with variable width byte arrays.  Eventually, variable width can
replace fixed width, but the pull request doesn't cover that.  Dave would
like someone in the community to review his pull request.

2) 1.9 release - Sudheesh

Sudheesh is collecting pull requests for the release.  Some have been
reviewed and are waiting to be merged.  Sudheesh plans to commit a batch
this Wed and another this Friday.  He's targeting having a release
candidate build available next Monday.

Laurent asked about Sudheesh's pull request for DRILL-1950.  He asked
whether thought had been given to supporting newer Drill clients with older
Drill servers.  Sudheesh indicated that doing this would entail a breaking
change in the protocol, and the plan was to defer doing this for a later
release where we may want to make other breaking changes like this.