drill-user mailing list archives

From WeiWan <wei...@sunteng.com>
Subject Re: IndexR, a new storage plugin for Drill
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2017 11:20:20 GMT
Hi Nicolas,

> 1)Does both drill and hive support predicat pushdown with indexR ? I mean
> using the indexes and not scanning table.

Of course we supports predicates pushdown.
IndexR implements a special index so called Rough Set Index, which is very suitable for statistic
queries. It can effectively filter out those irrelevant data chunks and cost very little comparing
to other index form. The idea is original comes from Infobright (ICE). I'm sure you can find
many useful links by google with “infobright rough set”. In some aspects you can think
IndexR as another Infobright which is open source, distributed, on Hadoop and realtime ingest
supported.

> 2)Does it support join push down, sort etc ?

It does not. Those job should be done by query layer, i.e. Drill.
But we did hope Drill can support aggregation push down, which can really speed up queries
in the cases like “select count(*), sum(a), max(b) form table"

> 3)Can you elaborate why your team choose Drill versus equivalent (impala,
> presto…)

We are not very familiar with Impala, Presto. But we did tried Spark. We didn’t choose Spark
because at that time, early 2016, Spark’s API for scanner is not stable enough, and we need
the processes running on local machines, instead of running on Yarn. And most of all, we love
Drill for its stability, efficiency, simplicity, and the nice interface for storage plugin.

Regards
Flow Wei