drill-user mailing list archives

From Bob Rudis <...@rud.is>
Subject Re: Date Conversion Question
Date Wed, 18 Oct 2017 14:57:24 GMT
FWIW I was doing very similar substring (etc) machinations until we
started converting output from back-end data-generation tools directly
into parquet (using other tools). IMO it's a common enough format (at
least in the types of data you and I likely have to work with :-) that
it'd be great if there was direct support for it. If there is, I also
missed it and would also be most appreciative of which incantations to
use to take advantage of it.

On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 10:49 AM, Charles Givre <cgivre@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Drillers,
> I have a silly question which I’m a little stuck with.  I have some data in CSV format
with dates in the following format:  2017-08-10T09:12:26.000Z.  I’m trying to convert this
into a date time data field so that I have both the date and the hours, however I keep running
into road blocks.   I’ve tried the CAST( field AS DATE ) but in doing so I lose the time
component.  I’ve tried the TO_TIMESTAMP function, however the only success I’ve had is
using the substring function to remove the timezone at the end, then use regex_replace to
get rid of the literal ’T’ in the middle of the string, then TO_NUMBER.  (See query below)

> SELECT TO_TIMESTAMP( REGEXP_REPLACE( SUBSTR( <field>, 1,19), 'T', ' '), 'yyyy-MM-dd
HH:mm:ss'  ) AS dt,
> EXTRACT(
> hour FROM
> TO_TIMESTAMP( REGEXP_REPLACE( SUBSTR( <field>, 1,19), 'T', ' '), 'yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss'
 )
>  ) AS dt_hour
>
> I’d think you could do this directly with the TO_TIMESTAMP function however, I can’t
figure out how include the literal ’T’ in the formatting string.  The escape character
seems to be the single quote which also is the only character allowed to denote the formatting
string.