drill-user mailing list archives

From Paul Rogers <par0...@yahoo.com.INVALID>
Subject RE: Drill Configuration Requirements To Query Data in Tera Bytes
Date Mon, 13 Aug 2018 00:20:23 GMT
Hi Tilak,

 Quick follow-up to this old thread. Few details were provided other than a desire to scan
10 TB of data in 5 minutes. Here is a quick back of the envelope calculation.

Assume that the Drill query is the only operation active on your cluster. Assume you are doing
a simple SELECT query with no joins or sorts. You must get the entire 10 TB of data off disk
and into Drill. If the query is highly selective (retrieve, say, 1 GB or less of the 10 TB),
then we can ignore must of Drill's own overhead for now.

Assume you have good hard disks, with sustained 100 MB/sec. read performance. It will thus
take 10 TB / 100 MB/s = 10^13 / 10^8 = 10^5 = 10,000 seconds for a single disk. Your budget
is 5 * 60 = 300 seconds. So, you will need 10,000 / 300 = 34 disks working concurrently. Not
a horrible first estimate.

Given that, you can then work out a hardware setup. If you are in the cloud, you'll have to
work out how to use cloud resources to get this throughput. If on prem, then you probably
have a standard hardware configuration. And, if you have SSDs, the calculations will be different.

You'll want to test with plain HDFS (if that is what you're using) to figure out the combination
of disks-per-node to get the needed throughput. For example, with 10 disks per node, you'd
need the 4 nodes that Abhishek recommended.

Maximum throughput depends on Drill being able to consume data at the desired rate. Here you
can do performance tests to see how fast a single Drill minor fragment (thread) can read data
on your hardware for your data. In my own tests (on a Mac), I found something like 50 MB/s
for a CSV file with a single 100-byte record. Your results will completely depend on record
structure and file format (CSV vs. JSON vs. Parquet.)

Once you know per-fragment throughput, you can target the needed number of fragments to consume
the disk I/O on each node. This will tell you the number of cores.  (Or, more realistically,
given the number of available CPUs, how much disk I/O can Drill consume on a single node?)
If, say, you have 24 cores and each can do 50 MB/sec, then your optimal Drill ingest rage
is 1200 MB/sec, which would, under ideal conditions, consume the output of 12 disks. Of course,
things are seldom optimum. The point is, balance disks and cores per node to avoid bottlenecks.

Of course, you may not get the optimum sustained read rate on each disk for any number of
reasons (limited controller bandwidth, disk contention, HDFS bottlenecks, etc.) So, having
more nodes is better, with data spread across more disks. If you get only 50 MB/s sustained,
then you need, say, 70 disks. If you have 16 cores per machine, and each can consume, say,
25 MB/s, then you can have 8 disks per machine for a total of 70 / 8 =  9 machines.

The point is, make some assumptions then test them. Use the results to work out an estimate
of the number of disks and cores. Use testing to refine from there.

Thanks,
- Paul

    On Tuesday, July 31, 2018, 2:12:17 AM PDT, Surneni Tilak <surneni.tilak@ericsson.com>