drill-user mailing list archives

From Paul Rogers <par0...@yahoo.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] current project state
Date Mon, 13 Aug 2018 18:07:39 GMT
Hi Arina,

Thanks for launching this discussion. A few minor suggestions.

The developers have done a fantastic job stabilizing and improving Drill's core functionality.
Now the opportunity is to expand the use cases for Drill so that it gets wider adoption within
the community. Drill competes for mindshare with Impala, Presto, Hive, Spark and others. A
key differentiator for Drill can be the ability to extend the core and integrate Drill into
user applications. Of these tools, only Spark has a fully ostensible model. Can Drill provide
some of the flexibility that has powered Spark to success?

1. You mentioned the metastore is under active investigation. Anything yet to share? Didn't
see any activity on the JIRA ticket. Metadata is a key gap in Drill. Simply adding a Hive-like
metastore would repeat the very errors that Drill was meant to address. Maybe we can toss
around ideas for a metadata API that provides greater flexibility.

2. Users can extend the core with custom UDFs, storage engines, formats and so on. At present,
the code to do this is rather hard to write, debug and maintain. Is there value in streamlining
those interfaces so that a wider audience can extend Drill for their specific needs?

3. Similarly, we've seen interest in integrating Drill with other systems, which suggests
an opportunity for improved APIs. Ability to associate options, defaults and restrictions
with users. Ability to use the REST API for larger data sets and with stateful session options.
And so on.

Such extensions are best guided by user demands: what can Drill provide for production applications
to enable simpler/faster/more complete integration?

Thanks,

- Paul

    On Monday, August 13, 2018, 5:42:08 AM PDT, Arina Ielchiieva <arina@apache.org>