drill-user mailing list archives

From John Omernik <j...@omernik.com>
Subject Functions in Drill but not in documentation
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2018 14:08:24 GMT
Hey all,

I was going to create a JIRA for this, but realized it's a symptom rather
than a problem.

I had a friend ask me "Hey, how do I do a regex search in Drill?"

I thought, well, look in the docs. And I go to string functions and it's
not there...(Doc page last updated Jan 14, 2016)

Then I thought... is there a way to do it... something is tickling my brain
on this... and I searched and found a thread where Charles Givre helpfully
pointed out that REGEX_MATCHES would work for me...

It all came back to me, we need a better way to do function. Now, yes,
Documentation needs to be updated, no doubt.  However, its more than that,
what functions should a doc person add to the docs?   The opportunity for
misses exist.

So then I realized, hey I suggested a solution for this problem too. I
added a request for sys.functions here:

and here

So while this is a bit muddied by other requests as well, I want to point
out that this issue here is important.

Why? Well today, I was able to help my friend do a regex search, but he was
my friend, and while I am good guy, not everyone is my friend.  Thus, what
happens when Drill could be the perfect tool for someone's use case, it has
all the right things for them, but they give up on it because of a document
miss.

yes, we could say "let's document better" or we could say "let's build
documentation into the code so it CAN'T be missed and saves time on
documenting?  This is one of those things where the doc pages could be
regenerated after every page. If we included a field in sys.functions
called "added in" we could even keep a ledger of what functions exist in
what versions!

This email hopefully is a call to arms to renew interest on my idea for
sys.functions. Please feel free to poke holes here... my goals are to help
make Drill easier for everyone!

John