drill-user mailing list archives

From Paul Rogers <par0...@yahoo.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: Suggestion needed for UNION ALL performance in Apache drill
Date Thu, 23 Apr 2020 05:13:51 GMT
Hi Sreeparna,

The short answer is it *should* work: a UNION ALL is simply an append. (Be sure you are not
using a plain UNION as that needs to do more work to remove duplicates.)

Since you are seeing unexpected behavior, we may have some kind of issue to investigate and
perhaps fix. Always hard to do over e-mail, but let's see what we can do.

The first question is to understand the full query: are you doing more than a simple scan
of two files and a UNION ALL? Are there sorts or joins involved?

The best place to start to investigate performance issues is the query profile, which it looks
like you are doing. What is the time for the scans if you run each of the two scans separately?
You said that they take 8 and 1 seconds. Is that for the whole query or just the scan operators?

Then, when you run the UNION ALL, again looking at the scan operators, is there any difference
in run times? If the scans take longer, that is one thing to investigate. If the scans take
the same amount of time, what other operator(s) are taking the rest of the time? Your note
suggests that it is the scan taking the time. But, there should be two scan operators: one
for each file. How is the time divided between them?

How large are the data files? Using what storage system? How many Drillbits? How much memory?

Thanks,
- Paul

    On Wednesday, April 22, 2020, 11:32:24 AM PDT, sreeparna bhabani <bhabani.sreeparna@gmail.com>