drill-user mailing list archives

From Paul Rogers <par0...@yahoo.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: Apache Drill Support concurrent parallel Request
Date Wed, 08 Apr 2020 19:02:16 GMT
Hi Ramasamy,

Let's define some terms. By "parallel requests" do you mean multiple people submitting queries
at the same time? If so, then Drill handles this just fine: Drill is designed to run multiple
queries from multiple users concurrently.

There is a caveat. Many people run Drill in embedded mode when they get started. Embedded
mode is a single user, single-machine setup that is great for testing Drill, exploring small
data sets and so on. However, to support multiple concurrent queries, the proper way to run
Drill is as a service, preferably across multiple machines. Further, if you are running a
cluster of two or more machines, you need some kind of distributed file system: S3, Hadoop,
etc.

Once you start running concurrent queries, memory becomes an important consideration, especially
if your JSON files are large and you are doing memory-intensive operations such as sorting
and joins. The Drill documentation explains the correct configuration steps.

Thanks,
- Paul

    On Wednesday, April 8, 2020, 11:00:14 AM PDT, Ramasamy Javakar <ramasamy@ezeeinfosolutions.com>