drill-user mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apache Drill Support concurrent parallel Request
Date Wed, 08 Apr 2020 19:23:22 GMT
Another thing that user's will see when they start trying to use Drill for
concurrent queries is that Drill assumes that it is OK to spend quite a bit
of time optimizing a query before running it. Taking 500 ms to optimize the
query can be a really bad trade-off if your query only takes 100ms to run.

It is possible to tune this very differently, but that exercise is
definitely not a task for a user (or even a less-than-advanced developer).
In the MapR connection between the OJAI API to MapR DB, for instance, the
clear assumption is that queries will be relatively simple and all that
really needs to be done is look for good join ordering and make sure that
secondary indexes are used reasonably well. This meant that retuning for
fast optimization was very worthwhile.

A similar thing was done by Alibaba in their time series query engine.
There, the primary data source is a variant of Open TSDB and query costs
are dominated by the primary facts (the time series itself). Tuning the
optimizer to not think too much is a good thing.

So, could you say more about your workload so that the Drill community can
say more about what Drill will (or won't) do for you?