drill-user mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Roles and Privileges, Security, Secrets
Date Thu, 21 Jan 2021 00:38:53 GMT
I think that pushing too much of this kind of authentication and
authorization logic into Drill has a large complexity risk. Anything to do
with kerberos magnifies that complexity.

I also think that it is a mistake to depend on user identity if
authorization tokens are likely to need to be embedded in scripts and such.
Identity that is inherited can work that way, but identity that has to be
given to a script should use an alternative intended for workload
authorization such as SPIFFE.

Is there a reason that most or all of this couldn't be handled by storing
the configuration in files? That would allow file permissions to naturally
allow or disallow these operations.

Also, what are the specific goals here?