falcon-dev mailing list archives

From Seetharam Venkatesh <venkat...@innerzeal.com>
Subject Re: Admin Dashboard
Date Tue, 15 Jul 2014 11:55:30 GMT
Hi Ajay,

Thanks for taking the initiative and sorry for my delayed response. I think
I largely concur with Haohui that keeping the stack lean and using JS for
the front end and Java for the backend is desirable.

Let me know what you need from serverside perspective and one of us can
jump in and help. Since the requirements are fairly trivial and reflect the
state in falcon, we should be able to achieve a lean implementation.

Today Falcon does not need to run python and embeds a jetty container. We
may need to change the deployment architecture to accommodate python.

Lets take a stab at using any front end tech that you are aware of and
proceed. I'm not hung up on dust nor bootstrap.

Thanks!

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 3:32 AM, Haohui Mai <hmai@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> [...]
> components.
>
> If this is the case, can you elaborate on how Python+Django can benefit
> Falcon, and what exact requirements need to be solved?
>

> On Sun, Jul 13, 2014 at 9:26 PM, Ajay Yadav <ajaynsit@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Haohui,
> >
> > Thanks for the reply. I am not suggesting to change existing java code to
> > python or saying that we can live without javascript. All I am suggesting
> > is that we do need to use a server side web framework. Try implementing a
> > very basic requirement: user sessions( a logged in user doesn't need to
> > login again on every page) with existing stack and you will understand
> what
> > I am trying to say.
> >

> > P.S. On a side note, you can use python to interact with Hadoop, Hive,
> Pig,
> > Oozie. Again, I am not suggesting to use python instead of java in
> existing
> > components.
> >

> > On Sun, Jul 13, 2014 at 11:40 PM, Haohui Mai <hmai@hortonworks.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks for your interests in contributing in Falcon. I am one of the
> > > early contributors in Falcon UI, here are my two cents:
> > >
> > > Falcon has a browser-server architecture which needs to address two
> > > requirements:
> > >
> > > 1. Provide a feature-rich UI (e.g. FALCON-290) to the browser.
> > >
> > > 2. The server-side logics have to integrate with existing Hadoop
> > > ecosystems (e.g., MapReduce, Hive, Pig, and Oozie) which are heavily
> > > based on Java.
> > >
> > > While personally I'm pretty open to any other technologies, but I am
> > > yet to be convinced that how Python+Django will add any values to
> > > address the above requirements. More concretely:
> > >
> > > i. JavaScript is (and will continue to be) an essential part of the UI
> > > to meet requirement (1). The python stack cannot replace the
> > > JavaScript part on the client side.
> > >
> > > ii. Falcon has to rely on Java to interact with other projects in the
> > > Hadoop ecosystems, as there are few bindings in other languages for
> > > these projects.
> > >

> > > Using Python+Django might help attract attentions from the python
> > > community, but I think that from the Falcon points of view, it is much
> > > more important to keep align with the whole Hadoop ecosystems (which
> are
> > > the main audiences of the Falcon project). Moreover, I don't think that
> > the
> > > merits that you mentioned for server-side technologies have to be
> coupled
> > > with Python+Django -- in fact, there are many more implementation of
> > > enterprise
> > > features like exporting to Excel in Java.
> > >
> > > In short, I think that the current choice of Java+REST+JavaScript is
> > quite
> > > reasonable. Though I'm pretty open to any other technologies, I'm yet
> > be
> > > convinced that Python+Django can be a superior choice.

APL 2.0

> > get
> > > > >> > >
> > http://falcon.incubator.apache.org/docs/restapi/ResourceList.html

> ajaynsit@gmail.com