giraph-dev mailing list archives

From Alessandro Presta <alessan...@fb.com>
Subject Heads up: API redesign
Date Wed, 25 Jul 2012 10:44:30 GMT
Hi all,

In case anyone missed this, we just committed a relatively big redesign of the API that aims
for improved consistency and usability.
Some patches will need to be rebased. I apologize for the hassle!

Most relevant changes:

  *   New iteration strategy: we now iterate over edges instead of neighbors. Applications
that don't need edge values can extend SimpleVertex. Iterators have been replaced with Iterables.
Edge does not include a Configuration anymore.
  *   Many Vertex methods now have default implementations. Subclasses need to override them
only when there is a good case for it. There existed quite a few bugs due to rewriting the
same code again and again.
  *   HashMapVertex and EdgeListVertex have improved performance (space for the former, time
for the latter).
  *   Some naming changes (most notably, BasicVertex is now Vertex) to stay consistent in
our codebase and respect our conventions.

I might have missed something, so please let me know if you find any more inconsistencies
or potential improvements (or just go ahead and fix them!).

Alessandro