gora-dev mailing list archives

From Nate McCall <n...@datastax.com>
Subject Re: Gora & Riak
Date Wed, 25 Jan 2012 16:11:44 GMT
Well what interested me initially about Gora was the focus on columnar
data stores.

I've spent some time on ORM tiers and related with Apache Cassandra
integration (hector-jpa, hector-ORM, and a JSR-347 impl), and I just
want to throw up a warning about the level of effort required to
engineer around impedance mismatch when you start targeting
fundamentally different architectures.

Now the differences between k/v and columnar datastores are at least
negotiable (document stores as well to some degree), but integrating
the number of different storage architectures into the same ORM
plumbing as you suggest will quickly become a headache.

(Full disclosure - I am currently under the employ of a commercial
Apache Cassandra vendor).