gora-dev mailing list archives

From lewis john mcgibbney <lewi...@apache.org>
Subject Similarities and differences between HAvroBase and Apache Gora
Date Fri, 27 Jan 2012 13:51:13 GMT
Good Afternoon Sam,

Recently HAvroBase was brought to the attention of the Gora [1] community
and we are interested to see where there may be shared common ground
between both projects. From your website post and the subsequent
information provided in your responses to questions, we can see some level
of similarity and it would be really helpful if we were able to see where,
if any, HAvroBase has strengths over Gora and vice versa.

Firstly a bit about Gora; the niche novel functionality Gora offers from
traditional ORM frameworks

   - Gora is specially focussed at NoSQL data stores, but also has limited
   support for SQL databases.
   - The main use case for Gora is to access/analyze big data using Hadoop.
   - Gora uses Avro for bean definition, not byte code enhancement or
   annotations.
   - Object-to-data store mappings are backend specific, so that full data
   model can be utilized.
   - Gora is simple since it ignores complex SQL mappings.
   - Gora will support persistence, indexing and anaysis of data, using
   Pig, Lucene, Hive, etc.
   - Currently Gora primarily focuses on HBase and Cassandra

As a community we have witnessed levels of sustainable growth, in addition
we have just received the great news that we have successfully won the
backing of the ASF board to graduate to a Top Level Project within the
Foundation. Building on this, it would be excellent if you were able to
comment on where you think there is common ground between the two projects
and whether it may be possible to work together to some agreed common goal?

All the best for now and thank you in advance for any insight you have.

Lewis

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/gora/