gora-dev mailing list archives

From Lewis John Mcgibbney <lewis.mcgibb...@gmail.com>
Subject Gora monthly report
Date Tue, 31 Jan 2012 13:42:00 GMT
Hi Guys,

OK so a couple of things here.
1) Please use svn switch http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/gora/trunk/ to
switch your trunk workspace to the new TLP svn repos.
2) I've added ALL existing PMC members and committers to the PMC and Unix
group on people.apache.org except the following
Keith - Waiting to hear back from Board@ as this is a fundamental change to
the PMC, I need to comply with the specified rules [1]. Hopefully this
won't be too long so please nudge me if i don't get back to you shortly. In
addition can you provide your ASF UID as well please.
[1] http://apache.org/dev/pmc.html#newpmc

OK now on with the report. The Board are meeting on 15th Feb, so we've got
to have it submitted some weeks before hand, therefore I'll leave this
thread open for a week or so before committing and sending it off through
the official channels. Please comment accordingly.

Thanks guys.

Apache Gora

Project Description
Apache Gora is an open source framework providing an in memory data model
and persistence for big data. Gora supports persisting to column stores,
key value stores, document stores and RDBMSs, and analyzing the data with
extensive Hadoop MapReduce support. (This new project description
comes from Enis' comments on gora-dev@, how does it sound?
No-one ever got back to him)

Project Releases
The last official project release was made on 24/09/2011 which was the
0.1.1-incubating release (2nd whilst in the Incubator).
Discussion has surfaced on the project development strategy for
spinning a 0.2 RC within the next month or so.
In addition to the numerous improvements made between 0.1.1-incubating
and 0.2 we plan to implement two additional data store modules, namely
gora-solr
and gora-accumulo. The addition of these modules not only drives the
project towards its extended project description and aspirations, but
will also ensure that
Apache Gora is extended to two diverse and active communities with the ASF.

Overall Project Activity since last report
Since reporting we have identified several improvements to be made to
the codebase. These issues are actively being worked on, however the
task of migrating
all Gora infrastructure to TLP status is currently taking precedence.
In terms of project activity, over the last month, our mailing lists
have witnessed sustainable
levels of activity with noticeably higher volumes of traffic. Daniel
Sharaf has done an excellent job of migrating the overwhelming
majority of the incubator
infrastructure over to TLP configuration.

Having just been accepted into the ASF as a TLP, the Gora PMC is
pleased to announce that having VOTE'd we have successfully attracted
one new committer and PMC member, Keith Turner. In addition we've
become aware of some other more discrete members of the community
chipping in. This is promising, as members from communities as far
afield as Apache James are actively monitoring the Gora development
lists.
Additionally we have connected with members of the JOOQ community
regarding a possible re-write of the gora-sql module as well as
members of the Hector
Developers community, a formal announcement was made on 15/01/2012
(cross posted to the Hector user lists) which states continued and
committed support
for the Hector client API within the gora-cassandra module. This was
followed by members of the Hector development team formally stating on
the Gora dev lists
that they are happy to work collaboratively to make both Hector and
Gora better projects.

Changes to PMC & Committers
The Gora PMC is pleased to announce that Keith Turner was VOTE'd in as
PMC member and Committer. Hopefully by the time this report is
presented to the
Board, Keith will be on board and able to actively maintain and
improve the gora-accumulo module, also opening Gora up to the Accumulo
community.

PMC and Committer diversity
We currently have committers from a wide variety of projects
including, Nutch, Tika, OODT, Camel, Solr to name a few. Once Keith's
credentials are
processed we can add Accumulo to this list. This list is not exhaustive.

Project Branding or Naming issues
As we migrate the website to the TLP infrastructure we have created an
issue on the Gora Jira to ensure that all ASF branding and naming
guidelines are
implemented fully and that Apache Gora is in compliance.

Legal issues
We currently have an issue with one particular library being used
within the gora-sql store. It is the communities intention to remove
this LGPL licensed library
from the codebase replacing it with implementations from JOOQ an ASL
2.0 licensed library.

--
*Lewis*