gora-dev mailing list archives

From Renato MarroquĂ­n Mogrovejo <renatoj.marroq...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Updated GORA-174 HBase information - unions
Date Sun, 10 Feb 2013 19:09:41 GMT
Hi Alfonso,

2013/2/7 Alfonso Nishikawa <alfonso.nishikawa@gmail.com>:
> Hi all,
>
> I updated GORA-174 issue info about HBase backend at [0]. Any thoughts?

So what you are proposing is to store and extra index at the beginning
of the actual value? or does HBase do this automatically? What about
if bytes were being written? couldn't some type of corruption happen
and make this unusable?

 col_name       content:index+value
 ----------     ---------------------------
 fam:mytext     \x01This is the text

> think now is better expressed.
> If no one think is wrong, I will implement solution-1 and solution-2(this
> means maybe quite work, so do we maintain it? -I vote yes).

So does your solution have two parts? or are they two separate
possible solutions?
You said on another email that HBase could persist Union data types
directly without having to modify it (did I get that right? or am I
confusing stuff? ) so implementing this would be just to tell HBase to
save the union data type but not actually writing this extra byte? I
wasn't able to find the avro documentation talking about this, could
you please point me to where this is?

> I had to restore my git server, but in this case not all went right, so now
> is up again at [1].

Thanks! and great work documenting this issue! (:

Renato M.