gora-dev mailing list archives

From Lewis John Mcgibbney <lewis.mcgibb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: GSoC: Apache Gora
Date Sat, 08 Mar 2014 12:30:03 GMT
HI Sergio,

On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 1:27 AM, Sergio Esteves <sroesteves@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am planning to apply for GSoC 2014, and the project Gora from Apache
> caught my attention.

Excellent. This is great.

> I am currently a PhD student of Computer Science and Engineering and I
> have been working on distributed noSql data stores. I participated last
> year in GSoC with the project Tajo from Apache (a big data warehouse system
> in Hadoop), where I successfully completed it.

I've looked at your work, I wonder if @enis does also know. Maybe Henry as
well. This is excellent.

> Can you provide me more details regarding these two issues:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GORA-13 (what is the current status
> of this issue - it has not been updated for a while)
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GORA-295 (how is the current
> caching module working?)

The current situation with the EhCache and the proposed GSoC project is
that it is a clean slate. We are looking for someone with some drive to
take it on and make Gora a better framework for the effort. If you fit the
bill then this is great.

> I know that Apache has a fixed amount of slots for projects/issues that
> can take part in the GSoC, so, as Gore was chosen last year, do you think
> this year it will be accepted again? For instance, last year I made a
> proposal for a Pig issue, but Pig was discarded from Apache projects for
> GSoC afterwards (when the results of student applications came out).

Over the years I have come to recognize that proposals gain merit through
their quality and through community backing. It's quite simple. I for one
would back you up 100% if you were to apply for this years project. I would
however advise that it may not be wise to put all of your eggs in the one
basket.

> Thank you and look forward to hearing from you,

Thank for getting in touch Sergio.
Lewis