gora-dev mailing list archives

From Lewis John Mcgibbney <lewis.mcgibb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: GSoC
Date Mon, 19 May 2014 01:40:26 GMT
Hi Ashan,

BTW please feel free to start a new thread on a new topic... it is OK.

On Sun, May 18, 2014 at 1:26 PM, <dev-digest-help@gora.apache.org> wrote:

> I want a few things to clarify from you. I have understood both the Gora
> and Hazelcast Separately. I Have tried out tutorials and codes for both
> separately.

Great

> But, I wanted to know exactly where the Hazelcast fits inside the Gora ?

Well right now it doesn't... that's why you are doing GSoC ;)

> what you expect from this module to the Gora ?

Primary functionality from Hazelcast which shadows the current Gora project
aims... to be the best object-to-datastore storage abstraction layer
around. I would say that whatever this means needs to be defined reasonably
soon within the scope of the GSoC project as it is going to give you a much
better opportunity to set off in the right direction.
Two things come to mind...
 * Implement Hazelcast support as a substitute/replication of a NoSQL store
as described here
http://hazelcast.com/use-cases/in-memory-nosql/
and/or
 * implement Hazelcast support as a caching mechanism for frequently
accessed data.
http://hazelcast.com/use-cases/caching/
This would enhance Gora support for accessing data regardless of its
location and would really improve our current query model and support.
there are certainly other applications/potential use cases... the above two
are just off of the top of my head based on previous reading I've done on
Hazelcast.

> what role Hazelcast should play inside the Gora?

Please see above

> I have included all the use cases of Hazelcast in my proposal. At that
> time, I didn't have much understanding on Gora. So, I included all the use
> cases Hazelcast provide. Now, I need to know which of those use cases
> community prefers to have in this module ?
>
> I'll let others chip in here there they see fit... in my opinion it is
your project. You should be driving the direction and enjoying yourself as
you do so. We are here as a community to harness and encourage initiatives
such as the one you are undertaking. Feel free to discuss your own ideas
with your mentor.
hth
Lewis