gora-dev mailing list archives

From Renato Marroquín Mogrovejo <renatoj.marroq...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: GSoC
Date Tue, 20 May 2014 11:50:59 GMT
Hi Ahsan,

This email is "interesting" because this opens up a wider discussion on the
subject, but it also worries me a little bit about your understanding of
Gora and of your own GSoC project. Your proposal has been defined and
explained in [1], so as Lewis has already said, this is what is expected
from you. You defined your main objectives as follow:

1.- Write a Hazelcast module and integrate it with Apache Gora.
2.- Improve the performance of Apache Gora in following aspects by
utilizing Hazelcast .

The first one is the one you should start on doing which is the most
straight forward and which will lead you to an even better understanding of
the projects. We have discussed (internally), that being Hazelcast an
in-memory solution, a possible implementation would be flushing whatever
Hazelcast had in-memory when Gora decides to flush its data. Pros and cons
of this preliminar approach we will have to find out once we reach this
point and see the results.
The second one is "trickier" one as this would change how Gora actually
holds records in-memory and by doing that might change the way it interacts
with other data stores (for example if we are dealing with HBase, we would
have to ship gora + the caching layer dependencies). Pros of doing this? we
can make Gora hold many more objects in-memory as we wouldn't be limited by
the JVM where it is running. Cons of doing this? shipping more dependencies
than needed, interaction with other datastores would have be studied,
integration with other projects would depend on more things than just gora,
etc.
The safer move on GSoC as it has time constraints and your progress has to
be evaluated. I would suggest to start with objective 1 (as you had defined
on your proposal, and as we have discussed). Objective number 2 is really
interesting but poses too many questions that we (as a community) might not
even be ready to answer.
Maybe someone else would like to comment on objective 2?

Renato M.

[1]
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/project/details/google/gsoc2014/speeduo/5847701052719104