gora-dev mailing list archives

From Alfonso Nishikawa <alfonso.nishik...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Should MongoDB know about Utf8?
Date Fri, 31 Oct 2014 08:14:58 GMT
Hi!
As always, I am slow to process :P
Can anyone tell me why are we using Utf8 and not String?
Talking about gora-hbase, although the compiler uses CharSequence
everywhere, gora-hbase module return always Utf8 independetly of what type
of CharSequence you wrote. Moreover, when writing, the CharSequence is
converted to String [1], while when reading it goes from String to Utf8 [2].

What is the reason behind using Utf8? Under my ignorance I would vote to
remove every Utf8 reference, and this obviously is good for MongoDB ;)

Regards,

Alfonso

[1] -
https://github.com/apache/gora/blob/master/gora-hbase/src/main/java/org/apache/gora/hbase/util/HBaseByteInterface.java#L226