gora-dev mailing list archives

From lewis john mcgibbney <lewi...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Suggestion for new Direction for Gora
Date Sat, 08 Dec 2018 20:52:29 GMT
Hi Kevin,

On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 5:56 PM <dev-digest-help@gora.apache.org> wrote:

> From: Kevin Ratnasekera <djkevincr1989@gmail.com>
> To: Gora Dev <dev@gora.apache.org>
> Bcc:
> Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2018 02:35:14 +0530
> Subject: Re: Suggestion for new Direction for Gora
> Hi Lewis,
>
> Thank you for all the suggestions given. I went through the pointers you
> given and found out that,
>
> 1. Camel is at gora 0.8 ( Already upgraded to latest )

cool

> 2. Giraph is at gora 0.5 ( Upgrade needed )

Yes and this upgrade will be pretty trivial.

> 3. Chukwa is at gora 0.6 ( Upgrade needed )

Yes and this upgrade will be pretty trivial.

> I logged two jira tickets [1] which I will be taking over. ( If anyone like
> to join please talk to me  )

Nice.

> I am not sure about nutch gora integration,
> current status and whether we can do anything from our end. I have seen
> several times dev@gora people raised their concerns over improvements to
> nutch-gora Eg:- Last time when we had discussion on GSoC ideas, there was a
> proposal from Renato on fixing gora-nutch integration in Nutch 2.x possible
> cases where we have neglected as community. [3]

We are proposing to retire Nutch 2.x due to long periods of inactivity...
which is a shame but it is also fragmenting the Nutch community so I think
it is probably best fr the project at this stage. If you are interested in
maintaining then please let us know on dev@nutch. Our plans are to release
once more then retire it.

> Also recently I noticed
> some people requesting mavenized build for 2.x branch as well. [4] Do we
> have ideas to take things forward?

I don't think at this stage that it is worth it. We are going to finish off
the Maven build for 1.x instead and focus on that branch for development
moving forward.