From Sandeep Paul <paultechn...@gmail.com>
Subject RE: HADOOP-1 Regarding dfs.block.size vs mapred.max.split.size
Date Thu, 11 Sep 2014 11:53:31 GMT
Thank you for clarification

-----Original Message-----
From: "Vinayakumar B" <vinayakumarb@apache.org>
Sent: ‎9/‎11/‎2014 4:49 PM
To: "mapreduce-dev@hadoop.apache.org" <mapreduce-dev@hadoop.apache.org>
Subject: Re: HADOOP-1 Regarding dfs.block.size vs mapred.max.split.size

Hi Sandeep,

AFAIK,

1. "dfs.block.size" and "mapred.max.split.size" are related logically to
get the best performance in case of reading big files and to get the data
locality.

2. There is no strict rule in the framework for the max split size . You
can specify more than block size.

3. If the split size is more than the block size, then single map needs to
read multiple blocks. This block might be in some other node, which will
increase the I/O duration.

4. As I said before, you will loose the data locality gain, in case of
reading from multiple blocks which are located in different nodes.

Regards,
Vinay