From "Colin P. McCabe" <cmcc...@apache.org>
Subject Re: 2.7 status
Date Thu, 19 Feb 2015 07:09:27 GMT

wrote:

> Re: building Windows binaries. Do we release binaries for all the
> Linux and UNIX architectures? I thought we didn't. It seems a little
> inconsistent to release binaries just for Windows, but not for those
> other architectures and OSes. I wonder if we can improve this
> situation?
>

> Windows has less variance; one CPU family; if you target one version its there; if you
test on that then you can say "works on 64-bit server 2012". Win32 isn't handled no-one would
ever use it in production (RAM limitations alone). There's clearly interest in JIRA for a
version of the client-side code there

> There's a more subtle detail: we don't expect all windows users to have the build tools.
Whereas on Linux it's pretty much all there.

> Now, if someone wanted to produce native libs for other platforms, and help test them,
we'd probably have to think about what to do then.

I guess one more issue is that Windows requires the native bits,
whereas Linux does not.  I suppose that's a good argument for doing
it.

> On that topic, Colin -can you take a look at  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-10846
; PowerPC native CRC. I Think the latest patch isn't going to have any adverse effects on
x86, but more native-code reviews would help.

I'll try to take a look tomorrow or maybe Friday.  Long backlog right now.

C.