From Steve Loughran <ste...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: 2.7 status
Date Wed, 18 Feb 2015 09:49:19 GMT

On 17 February 2015 at 21:52:47, Colin McCabe (cmccabe@alumni.cmu.edu<mailto:cmccabe@alumni.cmu.edu>)
wrote:

Re: building Windows binaries. Do we release binaries for all the
Linux and UNIX architectures? I thought we didn't. It seems a little
inconsistent to release binaries just for Windows, but not for those
other architectures and OSes. I wonder if we can improve this
situation?

Windows has less variance; one CPU family; if you target one version its there; if you test
on that then you can say "works on 64-bit server 2012". Win32 isn't handled no-one would ever
use it in production (RAM limitations alone). There's clearly interest in JIRA for a version
of the client-side code there

There's a more subtle detail: we don't expect all windows users to have the build tools. Whereas
on Linux it's pretty much all there.

Now, if someone wanted to produce native libs for other platforms, and help test them, we'd
probably have to think about what to do then.

On that topic, Colin -can you take a look at  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-10846
; PowerPC native CRC. I Think the latest patch isn't going to have any adverse effects on
x86, but more native-code reviews would help.