From Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vino...@apache.org>
Subject Re: HADOOP-14163 proposal for new hadoop.apache.org
Date Fri, 31 Aug 2018 15:29:32 GMT
Is there no way to host the new site and the old site concurrently? And link back & forth?

+Vinod

> On Aug 31, 2018, at 1:07 AM, Elek, Marton <elek@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Bumping this thread at last time.
>
> I have the following proposal:
>
> 1. I will request a new git repository hadoop-site.git and import the new site to there
(which has exactly the same content as the existing site).

> 2. I will ask infra to use the new repository as the source of hadoop.apache.org
>
> 3. I will sync manually all of the changes in the next two months back to the svn site
from the git (release announcements, new committers)

> IN CASE OF ANY PROBLEM we can switch back to the svn without any problem.
>
> If no-one objects within three days, I'll assume lazy consensus and start with this plan.
Please comment if you have objections.

> Again: it allows immediate fallback at any time as svn repo will be kept as is (+ I will
keep it up-to-date in the next 2 months)

> Thanks,
> Marton
>

> On 06/21/2018 09:00 PM, Elek, Marton wrote:
>> Thank you very much to bump up this thread.
>> About [2]: (Just for the clarification) the content of the proposed website is exactly
the same as the old one.
>> About [1]. I believe that the "mvn site" is perfect for the documentation but for
website creation there are more simple and powerful tools.
>> Hugo has more simple compared to jekyll. Just one binary, without dependencies, works
everywhere (mac, linux, windows)
>> Hugo has much more powerful compared to "mvn site". Easier to create/use more modern
layout/theme, and easier to handle the content (for example new release announcements could
be generated as part of the release process)
>> I think it's very low risk to try out a new approach for the site (and easy to rollback
in case of problems)
>> Marton
>> ps: I just updated the patch/preview site with the recent releases:
>> ***************************
>> * http://hadoop.anzix.net *
>> ***************************
>> On 06/21/2018 01:27 AM, Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli wrote:
>>> Got pinged about this offline.
>>>
>>> Thanks for keeping at it, Marton!
>>>
>>> I think there are two road-blocks here
>>>   (1) Is the mechanism using which the website is built good enough - mvn-site
/ hugo etc?
>>>   (2) Is the new website good enough?
>>>
>>> For (1), I just think we need more committer attention and get feedback rapidly
and get it in.

>>> For (2), how about we do it in a different way in the interest of progress?
>>>   - We create a hadoop.apache.org/new-site/ where this new site goes.
>>>   - We then modify the existing web-site to say that there is a new site/experience
that folks can click on a link and navigate to
>>>   - As this new website matures and gets feedback & fixes, we finally pull
the plug at a later point of time when we think we are good to go.

from here: https://elek.github.io/hadoop-site-proposal/ and https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-14163

a script as part of the release process)

which is generated by mvn-site (as before)

to the comments. Allen had some concerns about the used technologies (hugo vs. mvn-site) and
I answered all the questions why I think mvn-site is the best for documentation and hugo is
best for generating site.

about using this proposed version and approach as a new site of Apache Hadoop. Please let
me know what you think.