hadoop-yarn-dev mailing list archives

From Masatake Iwasaki <iwasak...@oss.nttdata.co.jp>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Change project style guidelines to allow line length 100
Date Thu, 20 May 2021 02:27:44 GMT
I'm +1 too.
I feel 80 characters limit tends to degrade readability by introducing useless line breaks.

> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/7813c2f8a49b1d1e7655dad180f2d915a280b2f4d562cfe981e1dd4e%401406489966%40%3Ccommon-dev.hadoop.apache.org%3E

I have no inconvenience on 100 characters for using Emacs and side-by-side diff even on 13-inch
MBP.

Masatake Iwasaki

On 2021/05/20 11:00, Akira Ajisaka wrote:
> I'm +1 to allow <= 100 chars.
>
> FYI: There were some discussions long before:
> - https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/7813c2f8a49b1d1e7655dad180f2d915a280b2f4d562cfe981e1dd4e%401406489966%40%3Ccommon-dev.hadoop.apache.org%3E
> - https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/3e1785cbbe14dcab9bb970fa0f534811cfe00795a8cd1100580f27dc%401430849118%40%3Ccommon-dev.hadoop.apache.org%3E
>
> Thanks,
> Akira
>
> On Thu, May 20, 2021 at 6:36 AM Sean Busbey <sbusbey@apple.com.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> Hello!
>>
>> What do folks think about changing our line length guidelines to allow for 100 character
width?

>> Currently, we tell folks to follow the sun style guide with some exception unrelated
to line length. That guide says width of 80 is the standard and our current check style rules
act as enforcement.

>> Looking at the current trunk codebase our nightly build shows a total of ~15k line
length violations; it’s about 18% of identified checkstyle issues.

>> The vast majority of those line length violations are <= 100 characters long.
100 characters happens to be the length for the Google Java Style Guide, another commonly
adopted style guide for java projects, so I suspect these longer lines leaking past the checkstyle
precommit warning might be a reflection of committers working across multiple java codebases.

>> I don’t feel strongly about lines being longer, but I would like to move towards
more consistent style enforcement as a project. Updating our project guidance to allow for
100 character lines would reduce the likelihood that folks bringing in new contributions need
a precommit test cycle to get the formatting correct.