hadoop-yarn-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Busbey <sbus...@apple.com.INVALID>
Subject [DISCUSS] Change project style guidelines to allow line length 100
Date Wed, 19 May 2021 21:11:31 GMT
Hello!

What do folks think about changing our line length guidelines to allow for 100 character width?

Currently, we tell folks to follow the sun style guide with some exception unrelated to line
length. That guide says width of 80 is the standard and our current check style rules act
as enforcement.

Looking at the current trunk codebase our nightly build shows a total of ~15k line length
violations; it’s about 18% of identified checkstyle issues.

The vast majority of those line length violations are <= 100 characters long. 100 characters
happens to be the length for the Google Java Style Guide, another commonly adopted style guide
for java projects, so I suspect these longer lines leaking past the checkstyle precommit warning
might be a reflection of committers working across multiple java codebases.

I don’t feel strongly about lines being longer, but I would like to move towards more consistent
style enforcement as a project. Updating our project guidance to allow for 100 character lines
would reduce the likelihood that folks bringing in new contributions need a precommit test
cycle to get the formatting correct.

Does anyone feel strongly about keeping the line length limit at 80 characters?

Does anyone feel strongly about contributions coming in that clear up line length violations?