hadoop-yarn-dev mailing list archives

From Akira Ajisaka <aajis...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] which release lines should we still consider actively maintained?
Date Mon, 24 May 2021 04:06:31 GMT
Hi Sean,

Thank you for starting the discussion.

I think branch-2.10, branch-3.1, branch-3.2, branch-3.3, and trunk
(3.4.x) are actively maintained.

The next releases will be:
- 3.4.0
- 3.3.1 (Thanks, Wei-Chiu!)
- 3.2.3
- 3.1.5
- 2.10.2

> Are there folks willing to go through being release managers to get more of these release
lines on a steady cadence?

Now I'm interested in becoming a release manager of 3.1.5.

> If I were to take up maintenance release for one of them which should it be?

3.2.3 or 2.10.2 seems to be a good choice.

> Should we declare to our downstream users that some of these lines aren’t going to
get more releases?

Now I think we don't need to declare that. I believe 3.3.1, 3.2.3,
3.1.5, and 2.10.2 will be released in the near future.
There are some earlier discussions of 3.1.x EoL, so 3.1.5 may be a
final release of the 3.1.x release line.

> Is there downstream facing documentation somewhere that I missed for setting expectations
about our release cadence and actively maintained branches?

As you commented, the confluence wiki pages for Hadoop releases were
out of date. Updated [1].

> Do we have a backlog of work written up that could make the release process easier for
our release managers?

The release process is documented and maintained:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/HADOOP2/HowToRelease
Also, there are some backlogs [1], [2].

[1]: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/HADOOP/Hadoop+Active+Release+Lines
[2]: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/HADOOP/Roadmap

Thanks,
Akira

On Fri, May 21, 2021 at 7:12 AM Sean Busbey <sbusbey@apple.com.invalid> wrote:

> Hi folks!
>
> Which release lines do we as a community still consider actively maintained?
>
> I found an earlier discussion[1] where we had consensus to consider branches that don’t
get maintenance releases on a regular basis end-of-life for practical purposes. The result
of that discussion was written up in our wiki docs in the “EOL Release Branches” page,
summarized here

> >  If no volunteer to do a maintenance release in a short to mid-term (like 3 months
to 1 or 1.5 year).

> Looking at release lines that are still on our download page[3]:
>
> * Hadoop 2.10.z - last release 8 months ago
> * Hadoop 3.1.z - last release 9.5 months ago
> * Hadoop 3.2.z - last release 4.5 months ago
> * Hadoop 3.3.z - last release 10 months ago
>
> And then trunk holds 3.4 which hasn’t had a release since the branch-3.3 fork ~14 months
ago.

> I can see that Wei-Chiu has been actively working on getting the 3.3.1 release out[4]
(thanks Wei-Chiu!) but I do not see anything similar for the other release lines.

> We also have pages on the wiki for our project roadmap of release[5], but it seems out
of date since it lists in progress releases that have happened or branches we have announced
as end of life, i.e. 2.8.

> We also have a group of pages (sorry, I’m not sure what the confluence jargon is for
this) for “hadoop active release lines”[6] but this list has 2.8, 2.9, 3.0, 3.1, and 3.3.
So several declared end of life lines and no 2.10 or 3.2 despite those being our release lines
with the most recent releases.