hadoop-yarn-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Busbey <sbus...@apple.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Change project style guidelines to allow line length 100
Date Mon, 24 May 2021 18:46:25 GMT
Hi folks!

The consensus seems pretty strongly in favor of increasing the line length limit. Do folks
still want to see a formal VOTE thread?

> On May 19, 2021, at 4:22 PM, Sean Busbey <sbusbey@apple.com.invalid> wrote:
>
> Hello!
>
> What do folks think about changing our line length guidelines to allow for 100 character
width?

> Currently, we tell folks to follow the sun style guide with some exception unrelated
to line length. That guide says width of 80 is the standard and our current check style rules
act as enforcement.

> Looking at the current trunk codebase our nightly build shows a total of ~15k line length
violations; it’s about 18% of identified checkstyle issues.

> The vast majority of those line length violations are <= 100 characters long. 100
characters happens to be the length for the Google Java Style Guide, another commonly adopted
style guide for java projects, so I suspect these longer lines leaking past the checkstyle
precommit warning might be a reflection of committers working across multiple java codebases.

> I don’t feel strongly about lines being longer, but I would like to move towards more
consistent style enforcement as a project. Updating our project guidance to allow for 100
character lines would reduce the likelihood that folks bringing in new contributions need
a precommit test cycle to get the formatting correct.