httpd-users mailing list archives

From Bill Moran <wmo...@potentialtech.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Error and not sure why or how to fix
Date Tue, 02 Sep 2003 20:39:24 GMT
M.D. DeWar wrote:
> Hello,
> Thanks. I had read that but guess I don't quite understand this part:
> "Also, if your program reads from, or writes to, any other files, those
> files will need to have the correct permissions to permit this."
>
> What permiisions would the maillogs need ???

With a default install of FreeBSD and Apache, a www user and group will be
created.  If you could send us a copy of the CGI, it would be easier to
understand exactly what's going on, however ...

> they are owned by root.wheel and 640 so I don't quite understand yet how to
> determine who and what they should be.

If your CGI is trying to write to those files, it's not going to be able to,
as www:www has no permissions whatsoever to that file.

However, if your CGI is trying to write directly to that file, it's probably
poorly written.  You shouldn't have to alter those permissions.

My opinion would be to alter the CGI to either use syslog, or create its
own log file.

As a fallback, you could change the permissions on the maillogs to 660, and
set the owner to root:www ... that would give processes run under Apache
the rights you seem to think you need.  I don't think this is a good way to
fix the problem, tho.  At best, it would be one way to see if that file is
really the one causing the problem, so you could fix it correctly.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies