httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Gold, Samuel (Contractor)" <Go...@ncr.disa.mil>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Request !
Date Wed, 03 Sep 2003 12:22:03 GMT
This was sent to the list yesterday by Geoffery.

Actually, I would suggest placing a GIDS (gateway IDS) in front of the
box. Something like the Inline patches to snort or hogwash would take
care of this. A firewall will still allow hostile web traffic through to
the web server. However, a GIDS watches the traffic and if a signature
is matched it will take action against that traffic - even though the
traffic is for a legitimate service.

geoffrey
--
Geoffrey Bennett <geoffrey@ticom.com>

Thanks,
Sam Gold
-----Original Message-----
From: KAN NAN [mailto:kannan_mca@hotmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 03, 2003 8:24 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: [users@httpd] Request !

Dear Friends,
We have a web-system using Apache web server and Jserv(servlet engine)
running on windows 2000. Our system was attempted to hack from some people.
Iam very sure they were using telnet to access the port 80 of my webserver.
I really dont know what was their intention. Server started giving Internal
server error, immediately after their request. It affected us a lot.
Can any one tell me how I can prevent such kind of attacks, Or how I can
block entire telnet request into my web system. I tried filtering User-Agent
string in the header, it didn't work, I tried using telnet to generate a
http request by giving input for User-Agent as Mozilla/4.0....., It
accepted, so there is no way that I can filter using User-Agent, they can
easily pretend as if the request is from a normal browser.

anticipating your replies,
-kannan

Need a naukri? Your search ends here. 50,000 of the best jobs!