httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] scripted authentication
Date Mon, 01 Sep 2003 08:55:55 GMT

I'm not entirely sure I understand your problem... Is it that you have
one directory at, say, http://yoursite/dir1 which is protected by a
login and then you have another directory at http://yoursite/dir2, also
protected, and you want it that once a user has logged in to dir1, they
get into dir2 straight away?

If so, the problem is that once a user enters a user/pass, the browser
caches it and sends those credentials with every request for a file in
the protected directory  or its subdirectories. If the user requests a
parallel directory (i.e. not a sub-directory), the browser recognises
this as a different "realm" and so pops-up again for a user/pass.

What you need to do is to persuade the browser to send an Authorization
header with a request for dir1 or dir2. You might try setting the same
string for the realm (AuthName directive) in each protected dir (I'm not
sure if the browser uses the realm to differentiate or if it uses the
URI).

Other solutions involve third-party software - CGIs etc. where a typical
recipe would be:

- Form to request user/pass (i.e. not using basic auth)
- server-side processes form and sends a cookie to browser
- browser sends cookie in subsequent requests
- server inspects cookie to decide on authorization (configuration can
be arbitrarily complex)

This also allows you to do things like "expire" a login if there have
been no requests for a certain time.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

>Thank you.