httpd-users mailing list archives

From Tom Donovan <donov...@bellatlantic.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Stopping a form processing if size of file is too big with Apache.
Date Sun, 01 Jul 2007 14:59:40 GMT
Norman Khine wrote:
> Hello,
> I have a POST form into which I allow the user to upload an image file
> png, flash, gif, jpg.
>
> Is there anything I can do with Apache involving artificially
> stopping the upload after receiving enough bytes to constitute the
> image header, and then deciding whether or not to proceed with the
> upload at that point and if the file does meet the size parameters then
> continue with the upload, if not then just return an error, advising the
> user that the file is too big.
>
> I don't want to use client-side application as this I think is not the
> right way to do it, plus the fact that it may infringe on the privacy
> i.e. my script reading the size file on the client computer. Maybe I am
> wrong?
>
> Any one with advise on how others approach this issue?

The LimitRequestBody directive
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/core.html#limitrequestbody
might do what you need.

It will stop an oversize upload after reading HTTP headers if the client
includes a Content-Length header with the request.

Even without a Content-Length header it will still stop the request once
the limit is reached, so users cannot upload oversize files.

For uploads which are too large, Apache returns a 413
HTTP_REQUEST_ENTITY_TOO_LARGE response:

"The requested resource {URI} does not allow request data with {METHOD}
requests, or the amount of data provided in the request exceeds the
capacity limit."

-tom-