ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From Abdullah Kauchali <abdullah.kauch...@isanusi.com>
Subject Re: Returning Multiple Resultsets from a Stored Procedure
Date Fri, 11 Feb 2005 07:18:26 GMT

>It doesn't fit our single input/single output semantic.

The last time I checked if one tried firing this:

"SELECT * FROM TABLE1, SELECT * FROM TABLE2"

and decided to send it as a batch request through JDBC ... JDBC *itself*
will make two
separate round-trips - not one.

Batching "command-type" SQL requests will however succeed in saving
round-trips ... but
the moment you stick in a "SELECT" type of statement ... JDBC will have
to return to the
client.  :(

We investigated this a while back to achieve "chaining" SQL statements
(collecting them)
through calls to business methods/dao's and only after completing the
last call, sending
the whole request to the database.  Sounded like a pipe dream.  :)

I don't know how JDBC reacts to Stored procedures with more than one
"out" resultset?
Does it also make separate roundtrips for each resultset?