Hello,
I think it's not quite so e.g. all characters in the memory are 2 bytes and serialized there are in UTF-8
here is article about it:
http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/javaqa/2003-12/02-qa-1226-sizeof.html
Regards
Michal Malecki

You could serialize the results it to disk.  That would give you a pessimistic estimation of the size it will be in memory.  That is, the cost of serialization will be higher than the amount of RAM used, so you can feel relatively confident that it will be smaller in memory.

Cheers,
Clinton